Tuesday, April 5, 2022

BLOG #6: What I Learned from EOTO

During the Each One Teach One presentations on Monday, I learned many new aspects about communication and technology that I previously did not know. I absolutely love learning about topics like this because I feel like it is very important to know, especially in today's age, where the entire world communicated through technology. 

The fist thing I learned that I believed was very interesting was about YouTube. Since I was young, YouTube has been a vital part of my communication and technology. I love to watch shows, movies, tutorials, reviews, and so much more on YouTube. I had absolutely no clue that the platform was origionally created to share family home videos with one another. I think this is such a cool concept and it is crazy to see how far YouTube has come since then. 

Another thing that stood out to me during the presentations was the history of the typewriter. I love how it has such an extensive history and really tells a story. One thing the presenter pointed out was that the typewriter opened a lot of jobs for women after World War I. Women were finally getting paid to be typist and I think this is just really ironic that the sterotype of women being "secretaries" stemmed from this form of communication. I also found it interesting how we still use basic concepts of the typewriter today, such as the keyboard. Computers may look extremely different, but they were derived from the concept of the typewriter.



The last thing that I learned during these presentations was about the World Wide Web. I always thought the World Wide Web was the internet, but I have now learned that it is not. I also loved learning about the backstory behind it, such as the first online purchase (Pizza Hut), phone (Nokia), and dating website (Match.com). 




No comments:

Post a Comment